Roper Families in Virginia
L. David Roper
1001 Auburn Drive SE, Blacksburg, VA 24060-8123
22 January, 1996
The First Century of Ropers in Virginia
[Ed. This document contains considerable
detail about the Roper Family and the full document is recommended reading.
However, only at the end of the document is there a reference to a Neech.
The relevant paragraphs are copied below.]
St. Peter's Parish was formed from Blisland Parish in 1679.
Vestry Book of Blisland (Blissland) Parish, New Kent and James City
Counties, Virginia 1721-1786, p. xxxiii: quotes p. 7 of the vestry book of
St. Peter's Parish showing John Roper, churchwarden of St. Peter's
Parish as ordered on 31 Mar 1688 to help "Runn a dividing line
between this P'ish of St. Peter's and ye Parish of Blissland ..."
land patent exists for New Kent Co. for Henry Waring. 500 acres.
Stratton Major Par., upon Pianketank Sw. 20 Oct 1689, p. 23. Adj. David
Bram's land, &c. Granted to Mr. George Burge,
16 Apr 1683. deserted, &
granted sd. Waring by order, &c. Imp. of 10 pers: James Nicholson, Jno.
Richards, Israel Sheppard, James Welch, Andrew Neech (or Welch) James Rogers,
Sarah Ellis, An. Jordan, Moses Roper, Anselm Bayly.
land patent exists for Charles City Co. for John Evans. 818 acs. In
Bristoll Par; 21 Apr 1690, p. 75. Adj. his patt. of 557 acs., granted
22 Nov 1682; beg. on E. side of the Southern run, &c. Trans. of 17
pers: Ja. Appleby, Peter Feake (or Flake), Antho. Tarkin, Wm. Weaver, Andrew
Corby, Susanna Hall, Jno. Roper, James Thornton, Adam Rugsbye, Tho.
Hamilton, Robert Ellis, Jno. Carver, Joan Relfe, Anth. Hux, Jane More; Grace
& Judah, Negroes.
Descendants by S. E. Brown, Jr., L. F. Myers & E. M. Chappel: p.248:
4128 Lavinia Bentley m William